David Prior brings us the iconic Viennese chocolate cake worth fighting over.
The ingredient of Sachertorte
- 150g softened unsalted butter, chopped
- 380g dark chocolate, chopped
- 100g dark chocolate, melted (optional)
- 4 eggs, separated,
- 2 eggwhites, extra
- 2 cups (440g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups (480g) apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
The instruction how to make Sachertorte
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm springform pan with baking paper. Melt butter and 180g chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (dont let the bowl touch the water). Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, beat the 4 egg yolks and 1/4 cup (55g) sugar with electric beaters until thick and pale. Gradually add the cooled chocolate mixture, beating until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the 6 eggwhites to soft peaks, then gradually add 3/4 cup (165g) sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy. Fold one-third of the meringue into the chocolate mixture to loosen, then gradually fold in remaining meringue. Sift over flour, almond meal and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then fold in. Spoon batter into the pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake slightly in pan, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Melt the jam in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the rum and pass through a sieve. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Halve cake horizontally with a breadknife, then return the bottom layer to the rack. Spread one-third of the apricot glaze over the top, then top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining apricot glaze over the top and sides, allowing the excess to drip through the rack. Chill for at least 30 minutes or until glaze is set.
- Bring the remaining 1 cup (220g) sugar and 1/2 cup (125ml) water to the boil in a saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add the remaining 200g chopped chocolate, remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken slightly. Pour the chocolate glaze onto the centre of the cake and allow glaze to spread evenly and drip down the sides. Chill cake for 2 hours or until glaze is set. If desired, spoon extra melted chocolate into a piping bag fitted with a fine nozzle and write u2018Sacheru2019 on top.
Nutritions of Sachertortecalories: 768.863 calories
calories: 33.1 grams fat
calories: 19 grams saturated fat
calories: 110.8 grams carbohydrates
calories: 90.1 grams sugar
calories: 11.3 grams protein
calories: 174 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 204 milligrams sodium