Delicate hazelnut-chocolate cake conceals a mascarpone and cream filling flavoured with vanilla seeds and Frangelico liqueur.
The ingredient of Buche de Noel
- Melted butter, to grease
- 30g dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 40g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 40g (1/3 cup) hazelnut meal
- 5 teaspoons caster sugar, extra
- 1 x 250g ctn mascarpone
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico liqueur
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seeds removed
- White chocolate leaves, to decorate (see notes)
The instruction how to make Buche de Noel
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Brush a 25 x 30cm (base measurement) Swiss roll pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and 2 short sides with non-stick baking paper to reach about 7cm above the edge of the 2 short sides.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half-filled with simmering water (make sure the bowl doesnt touch the water). Stir occasionally with a metal spoon until the chocolate melts and is smooth.
- Use an electric beater to beat the eggs and sugar in a medium bowl for 10 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Stir the water and bicarbonate of soda into melted chocolate. Sift the combined flour over the egg mixture. Fold in the hazelnut meal and chocolate mixture with a metal spoon until well combined. Pour into the lined pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until firm and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place a 50 x 30cm sheet of non-stick baking paper on a flat surface. Sprinkle with 4 teaspoons of extra sugar. Use the overhanging paper to carefully turn the cake onto the sugar on the paper. Remove the top sheet of paper from the cake. Trim the crisp edges of the cake. Starting with the long side closest to you, and using the paper as a guide, roll up the cake. Wrap in baking paper. Place, seam-side down, on a tray and set aside for 1 hour to cool completely.
- Beat the mascarpone, cream, Frangelico and vanilla seeds until firm peaks form. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread with mascarpone mixture. Roll up. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cover with baking paper. Place in an airtight container in fridge for 1 hour to chill. Top with white chocolate leaves to serve.
Nutritions of Buche de Noelcalories: 396.74 calories
calories: 27 grams fat
calories: 16 grams saturated fat
calories: 32 grams carbohydrates
calories: 5.5 grams protein