Discover pepper and spice and all things nice with this Italian Christmas cake, packed with nuts, fruit and dark chocolate.
The ingredient of Certosino
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 125g (1 1/4 cups) Dutch cocoa (see top tips)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 250g assorted glace fruit (peaches, apricots, pears, figs, cherries - see top tips), finely chopped
- 75g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 orange, zested
- 220g (1 1/3 cups) blanched almonds, roasted, roughly chopped
- 50g (1/3 cup) pine nuts, roasted
- 80ml (1/3 cup) red wine
- 110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, chopped
- 530g (1 1/2 cups) honey
- 350g assorted glace fruit (peaches, apricots, pears, figs, cherries, clementines - see top tips)
- Candied cedro (citron - see top tips), thinly shaved lengthwise (optional), to serve
The instruction how to make Certosino
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C. Lightly grease a 24cm springform pan, then line the base and side with baking paper. Sift flour with cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a large bowl. Add glace fruit, chocolate, citrus zests and nuts, then, using your hands, rub chopped ingredients through the dry ingredients to distribute evenly.
- Place wine, sugar, butter and 440g (1 1/4 cups) honey, in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over lowu2013medium heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Remove from heat, then cool mixture for 10 minutes.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, add honey mixture and stir until well combined. Spoon mixture into pan, and, using an offset spatula or the back of a spoon, smooth the top evenly. To make topping, cut assorted glace fruit into large pieces and arrange over cake.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out almost clean (it will still be a little sticky in the middle). Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Place remaining 90g (1/4 cup) honey in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Drizzle honey over cake in the pan, then leave to cool completely in the pan.
- Remove from pan and serve decorated with cedro, if using.
Nutritions of Certosinocalories: