Chocolate and beetroot are unlikely bedfellows. This cake defies any such notion with dark chocolate, espresso and beetroot. Topped with candied beetroot and beetroot syrup, this cake will be the signature dessert of any dinner party.
The ingredient of Beetroot chocolate fudge cake
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 250g light muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup (25g) NESTLu00c9 BAKERS CHOICE Cocoa
- 1/2 cup (50g) almond meal
- 250g beetroot, peeled, grated
- 100ml strong espresso coffee, cooled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Whipped cream, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 3 small beetroots, peeled, thinly sliced
The instruction how to make Beetroot chocolate fudge cake
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease and line a 20cm square cake pan.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (make sure the bowl doesnu2019t touch the water), stirring occasionally, until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs, sugar, golden syrup and honey together using electric beaters for 5 minutes or until thick. Sift in the flours, bicarb and cocoa, then fold in the almond meal. Place the grated beetroot in a sieve and press down to extract as much liquid as possible, then stir drained beetroot into the cake batter with the melted chocolate, espresso and oil.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for the candied beetroot, combine sugar, vanilla pod and seeds, and 1 cup (250ml) water in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add beetroot and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove beetroot using a slotted spoon and transfer to a wire rack set over a baking tray. Return liquid to medium heat and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup (125ml). Discard pod and set aside to cool.
- Spread the cake with cream, scatter with candied beetroot and drizzle with the beetroot syrup to serve.
Nutritions of Beetroot chocolate fudge cakecalories: 636.935 calories
calories: 17.3 grams fat
calories: 7.8 grams saturated fat
calories: 118.2 grams carbohydrates
calories: 99.3 grams sugar
calories: 8.9 grams protein
calories: 69 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 158 milligrams sodium