Decadent yet simple, this is a fabulous chocolate cake.
The ingredient of Chocoholics delight cake
- Melted butter, to grease
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 95g (1 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 440g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 300g butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 435ml (1 3/4 cups) milk
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 250g butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 230g (1 1/2 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 250g dark chocolate, melted, cooled
The instruction how to make Chocoholics delight cake
- Preheat oven to 140u00b0C. Position a rack on the second lowest shelf of the oven. Brush a round 25cm (base measurement) cake pan with the melted butter to lightly grease. Line base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the self-raising flour, plain flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda sugar, butter, milk and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric beater to beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until just combined. Increase the speed to high and beat for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is thick and all the butter is incorporated. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack for 2 hours or until completely cool.
- Meanwhile make icing: Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric beater to beat for 2 minutes or until very light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is very pale and fluffy. Gradually add the melted chocolate and beat until smooth and well combined.
- To assemble the cake, trim the top to even the surface. Split cake horizontally into 3 even layers. Invert top layer on a cake stand.
- Spread a 1cm-thick layer of icing over the cake layer. Repeat with the remaining cake and icing, finishing with a cake layer.
- Use a spatula to spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake. Smooth the icing, then using the tip of the spatula or a knife, make large swirls in the icing on the top of the cake.
- Attach double-sided tape along centre back of 2.5cm-wide satin ribbon. Press waxed paper onto tape. Place more tape along back of organza ribbon. Attach to front of satin ribbon. Place more tape along back of 1cm-wide satin ribbon. Attach to organza ribbon.
- Place the ribbon around the cake and press gently to attach. Trim the ends to join neatly at the back. Decorate with candles.
Nutritions of Chocoholics delight cakecalories: