Simple to make using easy-to-source ingredients, this spiced sweet treat is a specialty of Siena. Enjoy it with an after-dinner espresso or Italian liqueur.
The ingredient of Panforte
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- Pinch of white pepper
- 125g hazelnuts, roasted, blanched
- 115g almonds, roasted, blanched
- 1 cup dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed peel
- 50g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon water
The instruction how to make Panforte
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Line the base of a 20cm non-stick springform pan with non-stick baking paper. Sift flour, mixed spice and white pepper into a bowl.
- Stir in hazelnuts, almonds, dried figs, mixed peel and dark chocolate. Stir caster sugar, honey and water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until a sugar thermometer reaches 116u00b0C. Add sugar syrup to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer to prepared pan and smooth the surface. (see note) Bake for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. Dust with icing sugar. Cut into wedges.
Nutritions of Panfortecalories: