The Minestrone soup is healthy and rich with flavour. This is a hearty soup that will satisfy and quench all hunger. This is a quick and mistake proof recipe.
one large stockpot, long handle spoon, measuring cups, measuring spoons, mixing bowls.
Ingredients for Traditional Minestrone Soup
* 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
* 2 cloves of chopped garlic
* 1 pound bag of frozen onions
* 1 pound bag of frozen green peppers
* 1 pound bag of frozen red and yellow peppers
* 2 cups of freshly chopped cabbage
* 1 pound bag of frozen string beans
* 1 pound bag of frozen cauliflower
* 1 large can of diced tomatoes
* 1 fifteen ounce can of cannellini beans
* 1 fifteen and one-half ounce can of baby lima beans
* 3 cups of chopped Pancetta
* 5 cups of low salt chicken or vegetable stock
* 1 teaspoon of salt
* 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon of paprika
* 1 cup of Ditalini or Orzo pasta
* 1 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
* 8 sprigs of parsley
* Thaw, rinse and drain the excess water from the frozen string beans and cauliflower.
* Thaw the onions, green peppers, red and yellow peppers and place them in separate bowls.
* Drain the liquid from the canned diced tomatoes, cannellini and baby lima beans and place them in separate bowls.
* Place the stockpot on low heat.
* Add the Olive oil to the stockpot and cover the bottom with the oil.
* Add all the peppers, onions, Pancetta and cabbage to the stockpot. Saute and stir until they are tender.
* Add the minced garlic cloves to the pot. Stir and cook for one minute.
* Pour in the tomatoes, string beans, cauliflower, cannellini and baby lima beans and stir the mixture.
* Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and stir the vegetables.
* Add the paprika, salt and pepper to the stockpot.
* Cover the stockpot and cook for about 20 minutes.
* Turn the heat up high and bring the vegetables to a boil for two minutes and stir the pot.
* Then turn the heat down to low.
* Add the pasta and turn the heat up high and let the pot boil uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. The starch from the pasta will thicken the soup. Then turn the heat down to simmer for two minutes.
Spoon the soup into bowls and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on the soup. Garnish the soup with a sprig of parsley. The traditional minestrone soup is ready to serve. Slice a loaf of garlic bread diagonally and lay the slices in an aluminum pan. Sprinkle melted butter over the slices. Put the pan in a warm oven for three minutes. Then place the bread in a basket and cover it with a cloth to keep the bread warm.
You can add your favorite vegetables, beans and seasonings to this recipe. Cook a smoked ham hock or turkey butt in a separate pan. Then transfer the smoked meat to the stockpot. Add three cups of the smoked stock with two cups of the vegetable stock to the pot. The addition of cooking a smoked ham hock or turkey butt gives the soup a mild smokey flavour.